Srinagar, June 06: Jammu Kashmir Government has failed to submit a report on the circumstances leading to civilian killings on April 9 this year – the day when by-polls were held for Srinagar Parliamentary seat.
Chairman State Human Rights Commission Retired Justice Bilal Nazki earlier had directed Divisional Commissioner Kashmir and State Police Chief to file a detailed report about these killings.
The Government was supposed to file the report before the Commission on May 29 last month, but it failed to do so. Since State Human Rights Commission will go for summer break from June 10 to July 3, a reminder has been passed by the Commission to Government to file the said report on the next date of hearing that has listed on July 25 next month.
The petition with regard to civilian killings on April 9 has been filed by Jammu Kashmir People’s Forum General Secretary MM Shujah. “They way government has been behaving shows it cares a fig for the human rights violations. On the one hand government claims it has zero tolerance on human rights violations but on the other, it is trying to defend those who violate human rights,” said the petitioner.
Pertinently, eight people mostly teenagers were killed and over 200 were wounded in Government Forces action after large scale protests, clashes marred polling in Srinagar Parliamentary constituency. Those who fall to the bullets of Indian troopers included Faizan Fayaz Dar (15), Abass Jahangir (22) of Dalwan Pakharpora, Shabir Ahmed Bhat (22) of Dawlatpora Chadoora, Nisar Ahmed Mir (25) of Ratsun Beerwah, Akeel Ahmed Wani (22) of Churmujroo Beerwah, Adil Farooq Sheikh (19) of Yarigund Kawoosa Khalisa, Amir Ahmed Rather (20) of Dadwanpora Chadoora and Omar Farooq Ganie (21) of Barsoo Ganderbal.