Valley shuts against Shopian student’s killing

Home » Kashmir » Valley shuts against Shopian student’s killing

By Fast Kashmir on 09/06/2017. 2 Comments

Valley shuts against Shopian student’s killing
Restrictions imposed in Srinagar, protests at many places

Srinagar, Jun 09: Authorities on Friday imposed restrictions in Srinagar parts while the rest of the Valley observed complete shutdown against the killing of a civilian in Ganawpora village of South Kashmir’s Shopian district.
The restrictions were imposed in jurisdictions of six police stations, including Khanyar, MR Gunj, Safakadal, Rainawari, Kralkhud, Nowhatta and Maisuma today. The restrictions were imposed in view of the protest and shutdown call by the separatist leaders including Hurriyat (G) chairman, Syed Ali Geelani, Hurriyat (M) chairman, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and JKLF chief, Muhammad Yasin Malik.
Adil Farooq Magray, a student, was hit by a bullet in his chest after forces opened fire to disperse protesters who were pelting stones on them during a cordon and search operation in Ganawpora village of Shopian district.
Meanwhile, large contingent of police and paramilitary troopers were deployed on the roads in Srinagar and other sensitive areas to prevent any possible protests. Forces had erected concertina wires on the main roads to thwart the vehicular and pedestrian movement.
All the shops, educational institutes and business establishments remained closed while the traffic was thin on the roads.
Train services between Baramulla and Banihal town were also suspended by the authorities.
Meanwhile, the authorities barred the people from offering Friday congregational prayers in the historic Jamia Masjid here. All the gates of the Jamia Masjid were locked and barricaded, local residents said.
All the roads leading to the Masjid in old city were sealed with concertina wires.
The step according to the officials was taken to prevent the possible protest at Jamia Masjid after mandatory Friday congregational prayers.
Meanwhile, clashes and protest broke out at various places in the Valley throughout the day.
As soon as the Friday congregational prayers ended in the Dastgeer Sahab shrine at Sarai Bala, the Jammu and Kashmir Liberation Front (JKLF) carried out a protest against the civilian killing. Amid pro-freedom sloganeering, the protesters led by JKLF chief, Muhammad Yasin Malik tried to march towards commercial Hub Lal Chowk. However, police swung into action and detained Malik on the way.
During his detention, the youth hurled stones on the forces, triggering minor clashes in the area. Witnesses said that the forces used tear gas canisters to disperse the youth.
In South Kashmir’s Pulwama town, the youth clashed with the forces after Friday prayers. The youth according to the reports burst firecrackers and pelted stones on the forces.
Amid anti-India sloganeering, the youth took to streets and pelted stones on the forces which in return fired tear gas canisters to disperse them.
Protests also erupted in Tral area of Pulwama district against the Shopian youth’s killing. As soon as Fridayprayers culminated at Khankah Faiz Panah, youth carried out a protest rally amid anti-India sloganeering.
A large number of people who participated in the protest rally marched towards Tral bus stand and later dispersed peacefully.
In Lal Chowk area of Anantnag district, clashes broke out between the youth and the forces after Fridayprayers. Local sources informed that youth took to streets to protest against Adil Farooq’s killing who in return fired tear gas shells to disperse them.
In north Kashmir’s Sopore area, youth clashed with forces after congregational prayers. Amid pro-freedom sloganeering, scores of youth took to streets after congregational Friday prayers and assembled near Markazi Jamia Masjid Sopore. Forces resorted to tear smoke shells to disperse the protesters who later pelted stone on them.
Clashes broke out between youth and the forces in Hajin area of north Kashmir’s Bandipora district today. Scores of youth assembled in Hajin Chowk and pelted stones on the forces, who in return fired tear smoke shells to disperse the youth.
Meanwhile, the locals in Ajas village of the district offered funeral prayers in absentia for Adil Magrey. Scores of people gathered in the lawns of central Jamia Masjid Ajas and offered prayers for the slain youth.
According to KNS correspondent, Wasim Majnoon Mir, normal life was disrupted in Kupwara district due to the shutdown. In Kupwara town, people staged protest march after Friday congregational prayers against the Shopian civilian killings in security forces firing.
However, minor clashes erupted in the town Kupwara following which a contingent of police swung into the action and chased them away. A complete shutdown was also observed in some other areas of district Kupwara include Trehgam, Karalpora, and other area of this frontier district.
Meanwhile, the authorities have suspended 3G and 4G mobile internet services in the Valley while the authorities of Jio cellular company have reduced the speed.

Police version:
Barring the five stray incidents of stone pelting, situation across the valley remained peaceful and under control till filing of this report.
After Friday prayers, these stone pelting incidents were reported from Memender, near Mini-Secretariat in Shopian, near Reshmoual Sahib Shrine in Anantnag, Near Jamia Masjid in Kupwara and at main Chowk Sopore.
At these places miscreants in their attempt to disrupt the situation pelted stones on police and security forces deployment. The deployment used maximum restraint and chased the miscreants away.
Near Reshmoul Sahib a boy identified as Faizan Ahmad Sheikh son of Gul Mohammad a resident of S.K Colony Anantnag received stone injury on his right eye. He was shifted to SMHS, Hospital Srinagar where his condition is said to be stable. (KNS)


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.