Eight forces men, two militants killed in ongoing Pulwama Fidayeen attack

Home » Kashmir » Eight forces men, two militants killed in ongoing Pulwama Fidayeen attack

By Fast Kashmir on 26/08/2017.

Eight forces men, two militants killed in ongoing Pulwama Fidayeen attack


Srinagar, August 26: Eight government forces men were killed as a group of fidayeen militants stormed district police lines Pulwama in south Kashmir on in pre-dawn hours and engaged armed forces in day-long gunbattle, officials and sources said.

According to news agency GNS, Director General of Police (DGP) Dr Shesh Paul Vaid told reporters here that some militants on “suicidal mission” entered police family quarters inside DPL Pulwama at around 4 am on Saturday. He said that the police’s SOG, CRPF and army started clearing the quarters by evacuating families of cops. “In the process, we suffered some casualties,” he said.

Official sources said that the heavily armed and well-trained militants opened indiscriminate fire and fired grenades towards government forces and that resulted in casualties to the latter. In the initial assault, one policeman identified as Imtiyaz Ahmad was killed and six forces men were injured.

All the injured security men were shifted to hospital and later two of them belonging to CRPF succumbed at 92 Base Hospital Srinagar. Another policeman also succumbed to his injuries and the death toll rose to four. The DGP said that two SPOs of police were struck inside and they were also killed by militants. He said that there were three militants and the operation was on to kill them.

Sources said that by evening, six government force men including three cops and three CRPF men were declared dead in the fidayeen assault while two militants were also gunned down. The official sources said that after presuming that there are no more militants, the government forces started search and sanitization operation but they came under intense fire from the militant(s).

“In the firing four jawans suffered injuries and two of them, again CRPF personnel, succumbed,” the sources said. The government forces than again took the positions and launched operation to kill one or more than one militant(s). At Awantipora, the DGP SP Vaid confirmed the death of eight government forces men and two militants. “All the bodies have been recovered,” he said.

Residents of the area said that they were hearing huge bangs and heavy gunfire sound. While the operation was underway against militants in the day, the youths took to streets in Pulwama Town and resorted to heavy stone pelting on police and CRPF. Police retaliated by lobbing dozens of teargas canisters. A complete study was observed in Pulwama Town. The authorities sealed off Pulwama Town and snapped mobile Internet services across the district as a precautionary measure. (GNS)