Pulwama gunfight: police identifies slain militant

Home » Kashmir » Pulwama gunfight: police identifies slain militant

By Fast Kashmir on 07/08/2017. 9 Comments

Two of his associates flee amid darkness, clashes

Srinagar, Aug 6: Police identified the militant who was killed in a gunfight with government forces on late Sunday evening at Samboora area of south Kashmir’s Pulwama district.

A police official while confirming the killing of Pakistani militant said that a joint team of army’s 50 RR, SOG and CRPF have laid a siege in the village Akram Dar Mohalla, Samboora at around 9:30 pm after receiving inputs about the presence of three militants.

“Soon after the joint team intensified the search operation, the militants hiding in the area opened fire triggering off an encounter”.

The official said that during the initial exchange of gunfight the militant who tried to break the cordon received multiple bullets and died instantly.

The official said that the body of the deceased was recovered and has been identified as Umar of Pakistan.

Meanwhile, sources said that two other militants, associates of Umar managed to escape while taking advantage of darkness amid protests and clashes in the area.

Police sources said that both the militants have received bullet wounds. “The joint team of forces are currently following the blood stains of the injured militant to trace them out.”

The operation was called off at the encounter site Akram Dar Mohalla, Samboora while with the help of additional reinforcement, the forces have launched searches at other places and have pressed sniffer dogs into service to track down the fleeing militants, police sources said.

Umar and Rehman Bhai, according to police were close aids of Abu Dujana. Dujana along with Arif Lilhari died in an encounter at Hakripora on August 1.

The clashes broke out near the encounter site at Akram Dar Mohalla, Samboora and its adjoining villages soon after the news about the gunfight spread.

As announcements were made on masjid loudspeakers about the trapping of the militants, people mostly youth took to streets and starting pelting stones on forces and tried to disrupt the operation which resulted into the clashes. Police and para-military CRPF in retaliation used teargas shells to disperse the protesters.

In wake of the gunfight, authorities have blocked the internet services in Pulwama as a precautionary measure to maintain law and order in the southern district. (GNS)


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.