‘October 1, 1990, Handwara Massacre’

Home » Kashmir » ‘October 1, 1990, Handwara Massacre’

By Fast Kashmir on 02/11/2017.

‘October 1, 1990, Handwara Massacre’


BSF men killed 14 civilians including Ex-MLC, 1 JKP cop: Police to SHRC

Srinagar, Nov 02: Police Wednesday in a report, about October 1, 1990 Handwara Massacre, submitted to State Human Rights Commission (SHRC) said that BSF men killed 14 persons including a former legislator and a police cop”.
The report, a copy of which is in possession with KNS, reads, “The BSF personnel entered forcibly inside the Police Station and threatened the police nafri to kill them and set ablaze the police station,” reads the report submitted by the CID wing of J&K police to SHRC.

The petition was filed by Chairman International Forum for Justice, Human Rights (JK), Ahsan Untoo on 28 Feb 2013 in SHRC Vs Union of India through Union Home Secretary, DG Police J&K, IG BSF Kashmir Range and SHO P/S Handwara. The police submitted the report after four years since the petition was filed by the petitioner.
“After four years, the police submitted a half report. Why they have not been arrested in the last 28 years. No BSF man was held responsible. Nobody even touched the BSF,” said Untoo.

However, Chairman SHRC Justice Bilal Nazki directed the DGP of J&K police to submit the detailed compliance report and the present status of the case within two weeks. The next hearing of the case has been scheduled on December 15, 2017.
The report further reads that a case under FIR No, 119/1990 U/S 302, 307, 436 RPC was registered and during the course of investigation of the instant case it has been ascertained that due to firing by BSF personnel 14 persons were killed including former MLC Ghulam Rasool Malik and a police head constable Ali Mohammad.

“During the course of investigation all the legal formalities were completed and dead bodies of the deceased were handed over to their legal heirs for the last rites.
The DGP further mentioned in the compliance report that the investigation parade was conducted but no BSF personnel were identified and finally the investigation of the case was closed as untraced. (KNS)