Kupwara, Jan 27 : A complete shutdown was Saturday observed in north Kashmir’s Kupwara district to mark the 24th anniversary of Kupwara massacre in which 27 civilians were killed while scores of people were also injured by the government forces.
The shutdown in the frontier district was called by the Joint Resistance Leadership (JRL) comprising Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Muhammad Yasin.
According to the KNS correspondent, Sahil Shameem, all the shops and other business establishments remained closed while the traffic was also thin on the roads.
The survivors of Kupwara massacre recalled the horrific scene, saying that the event continue to haunt them.
The survivors said that “on Jan 25, 1994, a patrolling party of Army’s Punjab regiment during a market checking in main town Kupwara warned the private business establishment owners not to observe shutdown on Republic Day (Jan 26). But, as usual, a complete shutdown was observed across the district. The regiment on the same day barged into the premises of Jamia Masjid Kupwara and told the Imam (cleric) to come outside where they thrashed him along with several worshippers.”
“People in the district decided to bring the incident to the notice of the then District Development Commissioner (DDC) Kupwara Yaseen Shah,” they added.
“Next day, on January 27, we along with traders’ federation approached Yaseen Shah and raised the issue before him. He assured us support and probe into the matter. After returning from the office of DDC, a group of government forces standing near the Old Bridge Kupwara without warning opened indiscriminate fire upon us leaving 27 dead on the spot. Dozens were injured among which many have been left handicapped,” they added
The survivors lamented that no action has been taken against the guilty so far.
Officials said that a case FIR No: 19/94 under sections 302, 307 dated 27-01-1994 stands registered in the police station Kupwara. (KNS)