Tahira Khanam College female students hospitalized after eating hostel meal

Home » Kashmir » Tahira Khanam College female students hospitalized after eating hostel meal

By Fast Kashmir on 25/03/2018.

We are investigating the matter: Principal


Srinagar, Mar 25: Panic gripped Tahira Khanam College of Education Lawaypora on Saturday when maximum female students residing in its hostel fell ill, allegedly due to food poisoning.
The matter came to light Sunday morning as students called KNS and complained of being ill after consuming their meals at the hostel. “We had our lunch at around 12 pm on Saturday and soon after most of the students started to complaining of loose motion and vomiting.” said a student.
Tahira Khanam College offers nursing FMW and other courses to girl students in the Kashmir valley.
A girl student told KNS that at least 60 students are residing in the hostel. “The students after having lunch on Saturday complained of uneasiness, headache, and fever. Maximum students fell ill after having lunch,” she said.
Subsequently, the students were rushed to JVC Hospital Bemina. “The doctors told that students were suffering from food poisoning,” the students said.
Some have been discharged from the hospital; there are still many who are hospitalized. “Their treatment is going on,” said a doctor at JVC Hospital Bemina.
When this KNS reporter visited the college on Sunday, there was panic among the students. “We complained to college authorities several times that we were being served unhygienic food but to no avail,” a group of students said.
“There were insects in rice yesterday. Those who consumed the meals fell ill. We are always being provided unhygienic food,” the students alleged.
Each student has to pay Rs 4500 as hostel charges per month to the college authorities.
When KNS correspondent went to kitchen of the college, its condition was unhygienic. The roof has developed rust with big holes. The meals it seems are being cooked in unhygienic condition.
Principal of the College Dr Javid Iqbal admitted that students fell ill after having meals Saturday. “We are looking into all aspects; as such a thing has never happened in our premises.” he told KNS.
The principal added that they are investigating the matter and action will be taken accordingly,”. (KNS)

Loading...