Life returns to normal in Valley, Shopian remains shut

Home » Kashmir » Life returns to normal in Valley, Shopian remains shut

By Fast Kashmir on 09/05/2018.

Life returns to normal in Valley, Shopian remains shut


Internet restored; protests against civilian killings in universities

Srinagar, May 9: Life returned to normal on Wednesday in Kashmir Valley except in southern districts, after a three-day shutdown over civilian and militant killings.

The joint resistance leadership (JRL) comprising Syed Ali Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq and Yasin Malik on Tuesday asked people to resume work on Wednesday and protest against the killings in Kashmir by hoisting black flags.

All business establishments, schools and offices opened in Srinagar – the summer capital of Jammu and Kashmir – and the public transport returned to roads.

The Valley’s premier institute Kashmir University and other varsities including Central University Nowgam and IUST Awantipora also resumed class work on Wednesday. At theses varsities, the students staged protest demonstrations against the killing of five civilians and as many militants including Hizb Commander Saddam Padder and Kashmir University’s assistant professor Dr Mohammad Rafi Bhat.

Some parts of south Kashmir including Pulwama and Shopian observed spontaneous shutdown against the Shopian killings.

Reports of minor stone pelting clashes were received from Railway Station Awantipora and Gagrin area of Shopian district.

Malikgund Adil Malik– Sunday– 3:00, Heff Saddam– evening

Meanwhile, two separate firing incidents were reported from Malikgund and Heff villages.

A group of at least four to six persons believed to be militants appeared today afternoon near the graveyard at Malikgund and fired a volley of bullets in the air as a form of “gun salute” to slain Hizb militant Adil Ahmad Malik, they said.

Similar reports were received from Heff village where a militant group believed to be three to four in number offered the gun salute to their Commander Sadam Padder today evening. Both Adil and Sadam were killed in a gunfight along with three associates on Sunday.

A police officer when contacted said that they are verifying the incidents at both the places.

Black flags were also raised in several areas of Srinagar to protest the continuous bloodshed in Kashmir. Eyewitnesses said that black flags appeared on Amira Kadal bridge, commercial buildings and vehicles in city centre, besides the gates leading to Jamia Masjid in Nowhatta area of Downtown Srinagar.

Normal life resumed in Awantipora police district including Tral and Pampore areas.

While train services resumed on Wednesday, the internet was also restored in Srinagar district Tuesday evening.

Five civilians and as many militants were killed and over 50 suffered injuries in Badigam village of south Kashmir’s Shopian district on Sunday. Among the injured, one teenager succumbed at SMHS hospital on Tuesday taking the death toll of civilians to 6. (GNS)