Shopian killings: Valley shuts for second consecutive day

Home » Kashmir » Shopian killings: Valley shuts for second consecutive day

By Fast Kashmir on 08/05/2018.

Shopian killings: Valley shuts for second consecutive day


Restrictions continue in Srinagar areas

Srinagar, May 08: Authorities on Tuesday continued to impose restrictions in parts of Srinagar city and other areas of Kashmir valley keeping in view of the extension in the call for shutdown till Tuesday by the Joint Resistance Leadership (JRL).
Police said that restrictions remain in force in Rainawari, Khanyar, Nowhatta, M.R.Gunj, Safa Kadal, Maisuma and Kralkhud.
All the educational institutions, including universities, colleges and schools have been closed for the second consecutive day while as the train services between Baramulla and Banhal also remained suspended for the second day in running.
However, a civilian who had sustained injuried during the post encounter clashes in Shopian district identified as Sufail Ahmad Bhat (17), son of Ghulam Hassan Bhat of Dachoo village of Nagbal has succumbed to his injuries today at Srinagar hospital, taking the death toll of civilians to six.
As already reported JRL Monday evening asked people to continue shutdown today to protest against the killings of 10 people, including five civilians and five militants in south Kashmir’s Shopian district last Sunday.
Top Hizb ul Mujahideen commander, Sadam Paddar and an Assistant Professor of Kashmir University, Muhammad Rafi Bhat, were among the five militants killed in the gun battle with the forces in Badigam village of Shopian district.
Separatist leaders, Syed Ali Shah Geelani and Mirwaiz Umar Farooq continue to remain under house detention while as JKLF Chairman Muhammad Yasin Malik continues to remain under preventive detention.
Exams scheduled for Tuesday were postponed.
Mobile Internet services also remained suspended for the third day in southern district as well as in Srinagar and Ganderbal districts of central Kashmir.
Meanwhile all the shops, public transport and other businesses establishments continued to remain shut in Srinagar city and all other district headquarters.
A police official told KNS that the situation barring few stray incidents of stone pelting, the situation across the Valley remained under control. (KNS)