Kokernag gunfight ends: 45 days-old, B. Tech pass out; foreigner killed

Home » Top News » Kokernag gunfight ends: 45 days-old, B. Tech pass out; foreigner killed

By KNO on 28/05/2019.

Kokernag gunfight ends: 45 days-old, B. Tech pass out; foreigner killed

Faisal, a resident of Anantnag had joined JeM; Clashes rock Anantnag district, internet snapped

Kokernag, May 28: Two militants—a foreigner and a local boy who had a degree in Bachelors in Technology (B.Tech), a resident of Anantnag district, who had joined Jaish-e-Muhammad just 45-days ago, was killed in a fierce gunfight at Kokernag area of South Kashmir on Tuesday, a top police sources revealed to KNO.

They said that the gunfight broke out after a cordon was laid on a specific lead in Kokernag woods early on Tuesday. “On a specific lead, siege was laid in Kachwan area of Kokernag in South Kashmir’s Anantnag district by joint team of forces including 19 RR.

On intensifying search operation towards suspected spot, hiding militants fired upon forces triggering an encounter,” he said.

A police spokesman said that during the search operation, the hiding militants fired on the search party. “In the ensuing encounter, two militants were killed and the bodies were retrieved from the site of encounter. The search in the area continues,” the spokesman said.

Reliable sources in the police told KNO that one of the slain militants was identified as a foreigner, a resident of Pakistan while as second was identified as a local resident Faisal Nazir son of Nazir Ahmed of Naibasti locality of Anantnag town originally from Qazigund area of Anantnag district.

“Faisal was a B.Tech pass out who had joined Jaish-e-Muhammad outfit just 45-days ago,” they said. The bodies of the two slain militants were kept at the district police lines Khanabal as the area witnessed massive protests and clashes.

“Hundreds of youth took to streets in Anantnag after the news of Faisal’s killing spread in the area. Clashes rocked old town, Khanabal, Naibasti and other adjoining areas as youth were demanding bodies of slain militants,” witnesses told KNO.

They said that spontaneous shutdown was observed across Anatnang while as the authorities snapped internet facilities in the district