1,500-1,700 people assembled at Delhi’s Markaz building in spite of coronavirus warnings
New Delhi, March 31: At least 24 people staying at Markaz building in Nizamuddin area of the national capital have tested positive for coronavirus, Delhi Health Minister Satyendar Jain on Monday.
“All of them are being screened. We are not certain of the number but it is estimated that 1,500-1,700 people had assembled at the Markaz building. 1,033 people have been evacuated so far – 334 of them have been sent to the hospital and 700 sent to quarantine centre. Total 24 positive cases have been found so far,” he said while speaking to reporters here.
The minister also slammed the organisers of the religious event saying that they have committed a grave crime.
“The event’s organisers committed a grave crime. Disaster Act and Contagious Diseases Act was enforced in Delhi, no assembly of more than 5 people was allowed. Still, they did this. I have written to Lieutenant Governor to take strict action against them. Delhi government has given an order to file an FIR against the organisers,” the Health Minister said.
Earlier, the Delhi government had said: “It has come to our knowledge that administrators of Nizammuddin Markaz violated coronavirus lockdown conditions and now several positive cases have been found. Strong action would be taken against those in charge of this establishment. Delhi government will ask the police to register an FIR against Maulana of Markaz, Nizamuddin.”