Srinagar, Oct 09: A number of Electromechanical Equipments installed within STPs Laam (4.5 MLD), Habak (3.2 MLD) and Hazratbal (7.5 MLD) had got damaged over the years, thereby affecting the trestment process of Sewage in these STPs. Consequently the Committee of Experts constituted by Hon’ble High Court of J & K directed Lakes and Waterway Development Department (LAWDA) to get the technical audit of the STPs done through M/S Thermax India Ltd. who had constructed these STPs in the year 2005-2006. Accordingly M/S Thermax India Ltd. recommended Refurbishment of STPs by way of replacement of damaged equipments. The Job of Refurbishment of STPs was assigned to Urban Environmental Engineering Department (UEED) by Principal Secretary Housing Urban Development Department. The work was put to e-Tenders and subsequently assigned to M/S G.N. Magray J.V M/S LNA Infrastructures Pvt. Ltd. vide Chief Engineer J & K UEED’s allotment order No. CE/UEED/CJ/TS/1748-53 dated. 04.01.2020 for an amount of Rs.8.68 Crores (Rs.4.605 Crores for refurbishment of three STPs and Rs.4.07 Crores for O & M of STPs for two years after Refurbishment) on account of Refurbishment of all the three STPs followed by Operation and Maintenance of these STPs for two years after completion of refurbishment. The STPs were taken over by UEED for refurbishment on 1st February 2020 and the work was to be completed within six months from the date of taking-over of the STPs from LAWDA. In view of Lockdown due to COVID-19 Pandamic the work remained suspended for atleast two and a half months and the completion period for refurbishment got extended to last week of October 2020. All the equipments required to be replaced have been procured and the installation of these equipments is in progress. Approximately 85% of the work has been completed and remaining 15% of the work is expected to get completed by the last week of October 2020.
To check the Physical Progress of the Refurbishment of STPs the Vice Chairman J & K Lakes and Waterway Development Department (LAWDA) alongwith Suprintending Engineer Circle –II J & K UEED and other Engineers of UEED visited all the three STPs on 08.10.2020. The Vice Chairman directed the Engineers of UEED to ensure completion of work by last week of October 2020 as the Committee of Experts constituted by Hon’ble High Court of J & K is monitoring the refurbishment of STPs constantly.