Srinagar, Feb 17: General Officer Commanding-in-Chief Northern Command, Lt Gen YK Joshi visited forward areas in Eastern Ladakh to review the disengagement process, including dismantling of bunkers and other facilities by the Chinese military around the Pangong lake.
An Army official on Wednesday said that Lt Gen Joshi on Tuesday visited the forward areas of Eastern Ladakh to review the disengagement process agreed upon by India and China.
The Army commander met the troops and congratulated them for having made the nation proud, besides praising junior leadership for their bravery and grit.
After a standoff that lasted for over 10 months, India and China finally started disengaging their troops from the Pangong lake area. The Indian Army on Tuesday released short videos and photographs showing withdrawing of troops and dismantling of bunkers and other facilities by the Chinese military around the Pangong lake in accordance with the agreed disengagement process between the two neighbouring countries.
According to the agreement, China has to pull back to east of Finger 8 areas in northern bank of the lake while India will be based at its permanent base at Dhan Singh Thapa Post near Finger 3. Similar action by both sides will be taken on the southern bank of the lake.
The ninth round of the China-India Corps Commander-level meeting was held on the Chinese side of the Moldo-Chushul border meeting point on January 24, 2021.
During the meeting, the two sides agreed that the meeting was ‘positive, practical and constructive’. The two sides agreed to push for an early disengagement of the frontline troops.
“The two sides agreed to continue their effective efforts in ensuring the restraint of the frontline troops, stabilise and control the situation along the Line of Actual Control (LAC) in the Western Sector of the China-India border, and jointly maintain peace and tranquility,” a joint press release of the 9th round of India-China military Commander-level meeting said last month.
Chinese military had built seven bunkers and other structures in the area between Finger 8 and Finger 4, triggering strong reaction last year. On June 15, Indian and Chinese troops clashed in Galwan Valley, leading to the death of 20 Indian troops, and an undeclared number of Chinese soldiers.