Srinagar, August 19: Amid apprehensions among people, authorities at Food Safety Department Kashmir said that dressed chicken is safe to eat if kept in a cold chain store.
There are apprehensions among people in Kashmir that dressed chicken was unsafe to eat.
However, Assistant Commissioner Food Safety Department Hilal Ahmad Mir said dressed chicken is safe to eat if kept in cold storage stores.
“They (dressed chicken) are not harmful if they are placed in cold storage chain. Earlier there was no cold storage chain in Kashmir. Now cold storage stores are available and the dressed is totally safe. We only have to ensure chicken is slaughtered through Halaal means,” Mir told news agency Kashmir Indepth News Service (KINS).
Meat is a perishable product with a short shelf life. Therefore, cold chain management in meat supply is of utmost importance for the maintenance of quality and safety of meat/poultry products. Raw meat/meat products are likely to support the growth of pathogenic microorganisms and/or spoilage bacteria, and should be kept at temperatures that do not result in a risk to health.
Mir said they want safe food reaches to people. “We have to ensure there is no food adulteration. Our food safety officers collect samples then send them to competent laborities and based on results we take further action,” he said.
“Food Safety Standard of India over looks food safety and standards act. Recently a flagship programme was started in Srinagar for surveillance and enforcement drives have also been increased,” he said.
Mir said some food items have been found of substandard quality but all are safe in Kashmir. “We are making awareness among people including in educational institutions what to eat and ensure there is no sale of substandard food items in markets.”
Mir said they have put a curb on usage of synthetic colours in food items by restaurant owners or vendors. “But we are still receiving complaints that some chefs are using synthetic colours in Wazwaan at weddings. Similarly, some vendors are not maintaining hygiene. We warn them to avoid such things or action will be taken against them,” he said.